Your Fall Weed & Feed Guide
Posted by Ben Pease, Agronomist, PhD on September 27, 2022
Fall provides the perfect opportunity to tackle turf's nutritional and weed control needs with a weed and feed program, setting up for a strong finish to the season, preparing for the coming winter and ensuring a strong start the following spring.
BENEFITS OF A FALL WEED & FEED PROGRAM
- Help turfgrass recover from summer stress
- Provide extended fall fertility (particularly with products containing slow-release nitrogen)
- Eliminate existing fall weeds
- Prevent winter weeds from germinating
- Balanced fertility products promote the storage of carbohydrates
- Improve green-up
- Lessen weed pressure
- 2:1 N:K fertility products provide better spring green-up and winter stress tolerance
We've assembled our favorite fall weed and feed products, each featuring SGN 150 granules. This particle size delivers more product per square foot and provides better weed control than higher-SGN competitive products.
16-0-8 with Escalade®
A premium-grade herbicide product combined with fast-and slow-release nitrogen for a broad spectrum of broadleaf weed control while providing extended turf feeding by poly-coated sulfur-coated urea. Contains the low-volatile ester formulations of 2,4-D and fluroxypyr for reduced volatilization in warmer weather.
- Labeled for over 250 weed species
- One 40 lb bag covers 10,000 sq ft.
16-0-9 with Surge®
Another premium grade herbicide product containing four active ingredients for broad spectrum broadleaf weed control. Contains the traditional three-way products of Trimec with the addition of sulfentrazone for enhanced speed of herbicide activity.
- Fast- and slow-release nitrogen sources (PCSCU and urea) provide extended fall fertility
- Labeled for over 150 weed species.
- One 40 lb bag covers 10,000 to 16,000 sq ft.
19-0-2 with Trimec®
A standard Trimec post-emerge herbicide product with the added benefit of 1.7% chlorine micronutrient. Contains slightly higher percentages of herbicide active ingredients than our 22-0-4 with Trimec product.
- One 50 lb bag covers 12,500 sq ft.
22-0-4 with Trimec®
Trimec post-emerge herbicide combined with our premium PCSCU slow-release nitrogen source, NS-54®. Controls many common broadleaf weeds across various turfgrass species.
- Provides standard broadleaf weed control and extended fall fertility.
- One 40 lb bag covers 10,000 to 12,500 sq ft.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please complete the form, and we’ll get you in touch with your Territory Manager from The Andersons.
Ben Pease is the Agronomist for The Andersons Turf & Specialty business, responsible for research, service, and technical support. Ben received both his bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Wisconsin, and earned his doctorate degree from Iowa State University. Ben has also served as the Assistant Superintendent for Cherokee Country Club (Madison, WI) and Whistling Straits Golf Courses (Sheboygan, WI). To contact Ben, click here.
© 2022 The Andersons, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Escalade is a registered trademark of NuFarm Americas, Inc. Surge and Trimec are registered trademarks of PBI/Gordon Corporation.