The Innovation Continues in 2021
Posted on January 18, 2021
From industry-leading spreader technology to groundbreaking nutrient delivery systems and next-generation soil amendments, innovation is at the heart of everything we do.
Humic Acid and BioChar
Many turfgrass managers are familiar with the agronomic benefits that are associated with having a soil that is high in organic matter. Soil organic matter provides nutrient holding capacity, water holding capacity, and stable aggregates. Some of the most fertile soils are located in the Amazon region. The hypothesis behind how Amazonian inhabits cultured this fertile soil locally known as ‘Terra Preta’ is rooted in their use of organic amendments like biochar.1
Biochar is the result of burning wood byproducts (feedstock) at high temperatures with little to no oxygen present. The resulting byproduct resembles a blackened, shrunken version of the original parent feedstock.1 The utilization of biochar amendments for turfgrass management has a robust history dating back to the inaugural issue of The National Greenskeeper magazine in 1927. The NAGA president at the time John Morley stated, “I have found fine granulated or pulverized charcoal an aid in the keeping of good putting greens”.2
Humic DG CharX is a 50/50 blend of humic acid and biochar in a dust-free, spherical, and dispersible granule. The Andersons Dispersible Granule (DG) technology disperses into hundreds of thousands of small particles of humic acid and biochar after being exposed to water. The list of benefits that can be derived from using biochar is very similar to humic acid products like Humic DG™. Both humic acid and biochar are reported to improve soil characteristics in the following capacities.
Enhancing nutrient efficiency, retention, and cation exchange capacity
Enhancing soil structure, porosity, and water holding capacity
Reduces potential nutrient leaching in soils
Biochar pH (7.0) can aid in amending acidic soils
Provides a habitat and carbon food source for soil microorganisms
1. Wilson K: How Biochar Works in Soil, the Biochar Journal 2014, Arbaz, Switzerland, www. biochar-journal.org/en/ct/32, pp 25-33
2. Morely J: Why I Use Charcoal, the National Greenkeeper 1927, Cleveland, Ohio, http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/ngktc/article/1927jan15.pdf
VersaGard™ 3-Way Fungicide
Turfgrass diseases can strike during a variety of times during a growing season. The introduction of VersaGard adds a vital weapon in your arsenal to combat a variety of summer and winter diseases.
- The three-way active ingredient combination of chlorothalonil, propiconazole and fludioxonil provides excellent control of a wide array of turfgrass pathogens.
- Combining these active ingredients on our patented carrier makes for easy application with any professional spreader from The Andersons.
The process of mechanical aerification is a necessary management tool to improve airflow, nutrient and water movement through the soil profile. Following this destructive process, it is vital to jumpstart turfgrass recovery to a quality level necessary to resume play.
- Genesis Rx Zeolite+ is a 50/50 physical blend of Genesis Rx 5-7-5 and zeolite dispersible granules with beneficial microorganisms.
- Zeolite which is a natural mined material has a high CEC, high porosity, and excellent water retention capabilities.
- Genesis Rx Zeolite+ delivers balanced NPK, secondary and minor element fertility, soil enriching humic acid, zeolite dispersible granules, and beneficial microorganisms all in one easy to apply product.
Turf Grass Recovery Post Aerification
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please complete the form, and we’ll get you in touch with your Territory Manager from The Andersons.
Humic DG, CharX, VersaGard, and Genesis Rx are trademarks of The Andersons, Inc.