Foliar Fertilizer Do’s and Don’ts
Posted on July 18, 2017
Early foliar applications can make an already good crop better, either by stimulating more vigorous regrowth or by increasing the yield potential. Follow these Do’s and Don’ts when applying foliar liquid fertilizers in your field.
- DO obtain an accurate plant tissue sample in order to maximize benefits.
- DO clean application equipment thoroughly before spraying.
- DO adjust boom height above plant canopy for uniform spray pattern.
- DO make sure all hoses, pumps or pipelines are thoroughly drained of any other plant food or pesticide products and flushed with water before use.
- DO flush residual amounts of fertilizer solution from aluminum equipment with water after use to avoid possible pitting of equipment from prolonged exposure.
- DON’T foliar spray during hot, dry mid-day temperatures.
- DON’T foliar spray under windy conditions if drift into adjacent fields is a factor.
- DON’T think roots are the ONLY source of nutrient uptake. Sometimes roots cannot provide the full amount of nutrients your crop deserves. Foliar applications may be beneficial when crops are in need of an extra “kick” during the yield determining stages.
- DON’T make more trips across the field than needed. Many PureGrade liquid foliars are compatible with most herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides allowing for a convenient application. Jar test recommended.
- DON’T leave remaining fertilizer in the tank over winter. Transfer it to a holding tank to avoid possible harm to equipment.
Contact us to learn more about PureGrade low-salt liquid foliars!